Who is Eligible?
Applicants should be graduating seniors from the five undergraduate Claremont Colleges who have demonstrated outstanding leadership promise in fostering justice for all people, caring for our fragile earth home, or nurturing peace and reconciliation. There are no citizenship or residency requirements.
Napier Initiative policy prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful.
Selection Criteria for Applicants
• Applicants should demonstrate successful leadership skills.
• Applicants should present a record of concern for and practical engagement with one or more of the issues of: Fostering social justice for all people, Caring for our fragile Earth home, and Nurturing peace and reconciliation.
• Applicants should show a broad knowledge of the background and current state of the social issue they wish to address.
• Applicants should present a creative proposal for a practical project which must be carried out within fifteen months following graduation in the U.S. or abroad.
• We encourage practical, hands-on work for a creative, viable proposal. Plan a meaningful project related to one of the priority areas.
• Applicants should show that they have taken the initiative to establish a collaborative relationship with leaders in one or more local organizations where the project would be carried out. Napier Award funds may not be gifted to another organization. Projects to be carried out by an entity in which the applicant could potentially profit financially cannot be considered.
The sketches of earlier Napier Fellows suggest the variety of possible project proposals.
October 2022-APPLICATIONS DUE AT COLLEGES: Deadlines vary for students' submission of Napier Awards application material to the Napier contact person at each college. The contact person can provide more information about the application and nomination process.
Claremont McKenna - Brian Davidson, Director of Fellowships Advising, (909) 621-8267 Brian.Davidson@claremontmckenna.edu
Harvey Mudd - Gabriela Gamiz, Community Engagement, (909) 607-4575
Pitzer - Sandy Hamilton, Fletcher 204, (909) 607-9108
Pomona - Jason Jeffrey, Assistant Director of Fellowships & Career Advising, (909) 621-8144
Sefa Aina, Associate Dean and Director of the Draper Center, (909) 607-9994
Scripps - Jennifer Armstrong, Balch 134, (909) 607-9100
Deadline for college submissions to Pilgrim Place will be Thursday, October 20, 2022: Each college submits up to 3 nominees and their supporting materials to Pilgrim Place. Every nominated student becomes a Napier Fellow and will participate in further events with Pilgrim Place Mentors and other Pilgrim Place and community residents.
Submissions should be made to email@example.com.
Fellows are expected to participate in a series of meetings and events with Mentors in person or via Zoom as circumstances permit:
Saturday, October 22, 2022: All Napier Fellows meet to get acquainted.
Saturday, October 29, 2022: Meetings with Pilgrim Place Mentors. Throughout the 2022-23 academic year paired Fellows and Mentors meet informally by mutual agreement.
2023 Date TBD: Fellows present brief public summaries of their projects.
February/March 2023: Nominees for the award will be interviewed.
Spring 2023: Fellows are encouraged to communicate with Pilgrim Place Mentors and with each other about their shared vocational interests and plans for the future.
Date TBD: Public Celebration of Napier Fellows. All Fellows will briefly describe their project proposals and receive a small stipend in recognition of their leadership.
May 2023: Napier Awardees receive first half of their award upon graduation.
Following Graduation: Napier Awardees submit mid-way report on their project and receive second half of the award. Project Completion: Napier Awardees submit a final report on their project .